GETTING A JUMP ON SPRING PLANTING
from the January 1986 "Drying Times "
by Barb Moody
Idea submitted by Shelley MacManiman
This year use your dehydrator to get a head start on your garden. The method is simple:
- Begin about two weeks before you are ready to plant.
- Fill peat pots with a mixture of two parts vermiculite and three parts potting soil. Tamp down
- Place seeds in pots. Cover with a thin layer of soil, patting it down slightly.
- Place peat pots on a cookie sheet or shallow broiler pan. Moisten thoroughly. Cover entire pan
with plastic wrap.
- Put pan on a heavy duty tray in the dehydrator. Incubate seeds at about 80° for about three
When seeds have sprouted remove pan from the dryer and place it on a window sill. After a few
days, begin to "harden off" seedlings by placing them outside on nice days and bringing them in